Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Dam/Words

Well, the dam hasn't actually broken, but there do seem to be a few cracks in the wall. There's a couple of drops trickling through here and there. These fissures speak of an impending wave that I'm ready to ride the crest of. I'm speaking in metaphor today, I'm all about the phrase.


And so I offer you up a myriad of interesting words to ponder, words I've taken down in print over the years because they interest me. I have yet to use any of these beauties myself, but it's good to know they are in my back pocket if I need them. Some, you may already know, some you may question their validity. I considered handing you definitions as well, but, then that would spoil all the fun.


Priapic

Bifurcated

Paroxysm

Extirpate

Troglodyte

Ciliate

Clerihew

Nimiety

Lateritious

Agamist

Bibulous

Mome


That's enough for now. What can you all add to the list?

7 comments:

TI said...

I love the pun in your title today. Brilliant! Those are some words, aren't they? I only know what bifurcated and extirpate mean. As to the rest, I'm stumped. The could be made up for all I know. Can you use them in sentences?

Kiyotoe said...

how about....

equivocate?

lavaliere?

triptych?

that's all i got, i'm spent.

Anonymous said...

my favorite word is

tatterdemalion

Writer Bug said...

welcome back! I, too, am stumped by many of these words! And I can't seem to come up with an interesting one to add to the list... Will come back when I have one!

Idiot Cook said...

Yeah, I'm stymied by many of these as well. And we all know FC's favorite new word is defenestration. ;)

TI said...

How about:
discursive
heteronormativity
epistemological
And today's dictionary.com word of the day, toper

DJPare said...

Great words!!