Friday, August 17, 2007

Day Off/ Day On

I'm newly inspired today as I read each of your posts. I'm always thanking you, but I have trouble on my own. Here, I'm going to show you just what a geek I am and quote Evita: "It's hard to keep momentum when it's you that you are following." In my defense, I only know the musical so intimately because I worked on a production at summerstock on the coast of Maine when I was 19.

Funny, the things that stay with you--which is actually what I want to talk about as I've been studying Robert Olen Butler's From Where You Dream. I picked it up thinking, God, not another craft book. But, to my great surprise the book is comprised of his lectures that expound on how writers must get out of their thinking brains and into their unconcious (I would guess he mostly means subconcious, but who am I to question a master?) Regardless, this is just the advice I've been needing as we've spent so much time analyzing and tearing apart stories this past year. I need to find a happy medium between where I started (all artistic impression, subconcious flow) and where I went (dry as can be, over-structured, over-written).

To help kickstart the flow, D & I took the day off yesterday and went to see the newly remodeled Seattle Art Museum. Much better, much better than the old cramped building. We were both in love with the painterly quality of the John Singer Sargent (I'm always surprised with the force of my reaction to his work). I was disappointed by the Rauschenburg they had (one of his earlier "combine" pieces), and the Jasper Johns wasn't my favorite of his either. We were surprisingly taken in by the Warhol (above). And there was, an intense piece by Do Ho Suh, a gigantic samurai coat made out of dogtags, some kickin' Japanese scrolls and panels, and a wild Australian aboriginal piece, but I can't remember her name- started with an S. Oh, that's lame, but it sure was nice to be in the city for a day. We ate in Chinatown & got our city walking fix with a promise to ourselves to get back to it with a vengence today. So, I better stop fooling around here.

3 comments:

Writer Bug said...

Your post raises some interesting questions--I think that part of my problem getting into my story was that I was trying too hard, not letting enough of it flow. I think for me at least, the first draft has to be fairly flowing, sub/unconscious (I always get those two confused!) and then the revision is the time to put my craft hat on. Though the craft hat seems to sneak its way on too early, and then I just get stuck. Anyway... nice to hear about your trip to the city. I love how my day away involved farms, yours downtown. :)

TI said...

I am going to pick up that book. I do think that trying too hard gets us into trouble. I'm still at the "let it flow" stage and have to admit, it's scary because it feels sooooo uncrafted and scattered that it's hard to have faith that it will ever come together. Love hearing about your trip to the Art Museum. And just happy to have you back. YOu were in my dream last night, trying to talk me into spending an afternoon at the beach! I felt guilty taking time off -- the sub/unconscious trying to tell me something, no doubt.

Kiyotoe said...

forcing the issue leaves you with an insincere (sp) final product. If my pen (because i handwrite everything first) but if my pen doesn't take on a life of it's own, i put it away and watch some t.v.

An excuse to be lazy?

Naaaaaahhhh...