Monday, August 13, 2007

Raising Funds & Teenagers

Oh, those darn kids are amazing to me. They give me hope for the future. They're the ones that will forge ahead, leading us into a brighter, greener, safer tomorrow. I'm in love with a group of teenagers- is that wrong?

So, our little fundraiser had salsa dancers (7 youngsters who choreographed their own piece)*, raps about Harry Potter, raps about Calculus, a rockin' band, a not so great solo performance by quite the Diva who somehow managed to mix spanish, reggae, harmonica, guitar and strange social commentary, confusing her audience but looking fabulous while she did it, and poetry readings (some original, some by Sherman Alexie--no, he wasn't there). The skateboarders boycotted because they didn't want to wear full protective padding, but the kid who's taking an engine out of a truck & converting it to battery power was present with his informational wall of photos. And the popcorn and molassass-ginger cookies- amazing. Love them. Chocolate cake and lemonade, what more do you need? And, to top it all off, we made $600 from the generous donations of the attendees (I think it was mostly the parents).

My husband said-- after he was done helping me pick up, bless him-- "What a community we live in. The parents mix with the teenagers like it's nothing. No way, when I was a kid, would we have been good with our parents hanging around. These kids love it. It's a different world."

Of course, my husband is very east coast.


* The salsa dancers were my favorite. I'll have picts. later.

3 comments:

Kiyotoe said...

I'm going to have to agree with your husband on this one. I may not be old enough to say "back in my day"....BUT, back in my day, teenagers mixing with their parents and everybody getting along was unheard of.

But I'm a little bit east coast too. Jersey to be exact :)

I'm so glad you're back, now I can go back to being nervous about my posts. Nobody made me nervous about their comments like you. ;)

Writer Bug said...

Congratulations on a well-done event! It sounds great, and like a wonderfully rewarding job. Can't wait to see pics!

TI said...

What a great event. Of course it helps that they have an event expert at the helm! Good work. Looking forward to the pics.