Friday, February 16, 2007

And Once Again I'm Floored by Technology

I’m not the most tech-savvy person, but normally I do pretty well. But in this day and age, you have to move fast if you want to keep up. Recently, through research I was doing for my Book Review class, I found out about a thing called a webfeed. I had no idea such technology existed. Where have I been? How long has this been going on? Ironic that it took a site about reviewing hard-bound, old-school novels to inform me.

Basically, a webfeed will give you a quick list of all the things happening on all your favorite websites—every day! So, instead of having to check ten different book review sites, I just scan the feeds to see if I want to read a certain review. As long as the web site you like has streaming ability--a little button that looks like this: you’re golden. I used the Firefox program SAGE- it's free & is pretty simple. I suggested to my husband that he set up a feed for all his political chatty-chat he enjoys. Bug and ti could do one for knitting sites.

What a world we’re living in.
Ten years ago I swore I’d never own a computer or a cell phone.

If you already know about RSS and XML I commend you, but if you don’t, you can read up on it here….
http://blog.contentious.com/archives/2003/10/18/what-are-webfeeds-rss-and-why-should-you-care

2 comments:

TI said...

Repeater, that is very cool. I knew nothing about RSS and XML until your post (I mean, I've heard of them but tuned them out). Thanks for the tip.
Hope you're doing well.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.