Tuesday, February 13, 2007

No Tube

A couple of weeks ago my husband was talking to a friend of ours, going on about how he wanted to get a flat-screen TV, wouldn’t it look wonderful in the living room. I hear them talking and shout from the kitchen (okay, it’s basically the same room so I didn’t really shout) “No way. Not going to happen. Absolute last thing on the list of needs.” He pouted a little bit and then we all laughed at the stereotypical roles D & I have taken on.

Guess what broke this weekend? Yep. Our television. Just stopped working, one straight glowing line across the screen, though you can still hear the audio. "Suspicious," you say, "that it just stopped working?" Yes, very suspicious.

In any case, we have been several days without the raucous thing and what silent bliss. We’ve never been huge TV fans, in fact, we don’t even have cable so we’d mostly watch PBS (big confession, I like American Idol too), but we always ate dinner while watching something. Several nights a week we’d watch a movie.

We’ve since looked at the prices for TVs online and Holy $%**#!!! They are spendy! (I got my previous one from a friend for $25). Now D agrees with me that we should wait a while, particularly if he wants a flat panel. So, we’ll be reverting back to the days similar to our artistic Bohemian twenties when we thought television was a waste of time, and oh, so uncool. What do you want to bet I’ll get a lot more done?

4 comments:

Gili Warsett said...

I don't have a television. I'm a big fan of the lack of tube lifestyle.

TI said...

We have a rarely watched tv. one thing that we've done because I watch less and can't stand it in the background is that we bought wireless headphones. When R is watching TV without me, he uses the headphones and turns the volume right to silent. It's been a lifesaver!

Repeater said...

ti- I would love it if he did that! He wears wired ones with the radio in the morning (he does the dishes, bless him), but wireless is a great idea. If we get another TV I'll run it by him!

Gili Warsett said...

wow, that's funny. i can't imagine watching television with headphones. so silly. but smart for other people in the area.