Wednesday, February 21, 2007

It's All Crap

It's unfortunate, these feelings of defeat and in-accomplishment (I know, that's not a word but it's appropriate). They really do me no good at all. You see, my foolish foolish idea of not working this semester has exploded in my face. It was a pipe dream, a long shot, but I thought perhaps we could pull it off. In a perfect world, it may have worked-- but you know, cars keep breaking down and tools need to be purchased. Dinner plans are made and birthdays arise. Life costs money, and I'm unwilling to Suffer for Art. I did it for years and it's not any more fruitful. So, I'm back up on my horse and I'm galloping down to Texas once more. Houston Fashion Week, you know (Why o Why is it always the Texans who need my help?- rhetorical question)

And all this frustration leads to a frantic need to finish my schoolwork before I go, which leads to an absolute grinding halt in my abilities. Instantly my fingers forget how to type (unless, of course it is frivolous ranting that is pouring out), my eyes stare blankly at the screen and I can't remember what my character's motivations are and I can't figure out if my thoughts are cliche. It all seems like crap.

On the upside, I got my comments back from my professor and one of the nice things she said was:

"All in all, though, this is a great first draft".

The "though" in that sentence was in regards to the many many bad things, of which, I will only share that I messed up some punctuation on my quotes, which is pretty embarrassing for a grad student.

6 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

I think the sign of great artists are the ones who are the hardest on themselves. You, Bug, and TI are great writers. And even though the damn doubt monkeys whisper in your ears, I think that's a good sign.

Kinda like what Bertrand Russell said: "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Same applies to writing.

Hang in there, Repeater!

Idiot Cook said...

Yeah, so my first sentence makes NO sense. How 'bout this: "Great artists are often the ones who are hardest on themselves."

There. That's readable, anyway.

TI said...

It must be crash time again, because I am sliding too. My essay this month is NOT coming together. I keep reminding myself that this is part of the process...It will come together, Repeater, it always does. Show no mercy to the doubt monkeys (love that, FC).

Writer Bug said...

Yes, it is most def crash time. (See the email I just sent you) I'm sorry that the no work thing didn't work out. Maybe it'll make for some good material? And it's probably warmer in Texas than Seattle, right? Hang in there.

Repeater said...

Nice, ladies. Thanks for the good thoughts. They're keeping me going. Love the doubt monkey's too- gives it kind of a whimsical air.

Kiyotoe said...

and now, you're favorite blogger has returned to motivate, inspire and most importantly, harass you....

(you should see the smile on my face just thinking about the harrassing part).

I know, i know......you missed me. Sincerely.