Sunday, October 15, 2006

Be Very Afraid

Last night I watched a program on the Discovery Channel called America’s Tsunami, Are We Next? Despite the scare-tactic name, I sat riveted (I usually refuse to watch any show that tries to sell itself on fear). My husband had attempted to tell me last week that if there was a Tsunami that we would have three minutes’ warning on our little island. I brushed it off as alarmist talk. Remember Y2K? Apocalypse scare in the late 80’s? I wouldn’t join in the hysteria.
Then I watched the show. Respected scientists are saying it’s not a question of whether or not it will happen, but when. They swear it could happen any minute. The target? 30 miles off the Northwest coast. Oh good god. What am I waiting for? I’ve only got a couple of five gallon jugs of water and four cans of food stored. Last night I dreamt about the Tsunami—of myself as the hero (I’m often the hero in my dreams), trying to drag people out of the water, housing and feeding them.
For the first time, I’m glad our house isn’t right on the beach. I’m going to look up our elevation when I get home.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I hate weather drama shows! They make me feel paranoid. I particularly couldn't watch one about tsunamis. I used to dream about them all of the time, even before I knew what they were, really. It was surreal listening to the people's descriptions of the Indonesian tsunami, because I had lived it all before in my dreams.

Anonymous said...

I really can see you pulling people out of the water and giving them food and shelter in your house. You may only have a bit of extra water and a few cans of food, but you DO have five cords of wood.

Repeater said...

Too true ti (alliteration skills abound)

Anonymous said...

I, too, saw that show! Even though I live on one of the Great Lakes, I've never dreamt of being swept away by a tsunami. (Maybe the danger is more real in Cleveland lol.)

Sure.. go ahead and steal anthing you want from my blog. I stole it from other people =)