Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Take a Look Outside

Oh, just a few more days in this lonely tumbleweed town. I can’t say I’ll hate to see the last of the Red Roof Inn and the Jack in the Box across the street. I can’t say I’ll suffer by forfeiting the Subway sandwiches and bad Chinese. I won’t miss the giggling twenty-somethings in the next room or the warehouse I’m working in. I won’t miss the mini-van I’ve driving around one tiny little bit (flat tire incident with the compact rental).
But somehow it is easy to get accustomed to a new routine. Just a few weeks and I am ready to accept the hassle of walking outside to the ice machine twice a day to keep the half and half for my coffee unspoiled. With that first hint of the crisp air hitting my face, I wander, body-blissed from a half hour of yoga, out into the morning. I’ve started to enjoy the image of the sun coming up in the mirrored building across the street, a shimmering pink and yellow reflection of itself.
When I get home I will have to remember to walk outside first thing. Funny that it took coming here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts are always so reflective and beautiful. Mine tend to be so utilitarian -- yours are *writing*! Inspiring.

Writer Bug said...

I agree with TI (though not about the fact that her writing is utilitarian in the least). But your posts are very thoughtful. It's nice to think of getting ice as a routine. Safe journey home!

Repeater said...

Thank you ladies. ti, I think you're just more disciplined than I. I've got plenty of artistic spirit & not enough form. Unfortunately,bug, I'm off to Sin City next. Are you in NM yet?

Writer Bug said...

Ooh. Say hi to Elvis! I'm leaving for NM tomorrow. We'll be in the same time zone at least! (I think)