Saturday, October 14, 2006

Just a Little Bit

The thing about staying in a ratty motel is that it is humbling. You learn very quickly to appreciate the good things you have at home, the “amenities”you now realize you should have insisted upon before agreeing to the gig: coffee pot, gym, refrigerator. No matter. They’ve always got good cable stations in the crap hotels. (This is me looking on the bright side which is hard to do when you’re wondering if you’re picking up germs by touching the remote.) Mind you, it has been a long time since I’ve stayed in a place like this, so I didn’t even think to bring a sanitizer. I’ll admit it, I’ve been spoiled. So I’ve decided to count this as a blessing. If there wasn’t good cable, I wouldn’t have been able to see Bill Maher show. I decided after watching that he’s my new boyfriend (Dorsey will understand). Brilliance and wit is sexy. But then a few hours later Bill got usurped by Bono, who, lets face it, Bill doesn’t stand a chance against. Bono and Bobby Shriver were on Larry King Live talking about their new (Product) Red that donates 50% of sales to the Global Fund, helping Africans get medicine for Aids. Brilliance and wit is even sexier if you throw in a whooping mound of generosity. I went right out and bought myself a (Product) Red sweatshirt at the Gap. Thank you Bono. Thank you Bobby. Thank you universe for letting me stay in a crap-ass hotel so that I could learn how lucky I am to be in a position to help, even just a little bit.

3 comments:

Writer Bug said...

Nice post. I love the end.

Anonymous said...

Oh! That motel sounds like one me & hubby stayed in once. It was Michigan winter and, needless to say, COLD. We checked in and went to our room, immediately turning on the heat.

The room never did warm up. Where they had taken out the air conditioner for the winter, they had just hung a picture over the hole in the wall!! We slept in our clothes.. and coats.

Thanks for the comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Great post. No one stands a chance against Bono.