Sunday, October 08, 2006

Dorkus Amongus

I’ve been thinking lately about what is cool, what is not, in general what a big dork I am. I’ve finally come to terms with that, with the fact that I like to stay in at night, that my tastes run to the nerdy side. I like math, I like science, and I would rather play a board game than go for a drink in a bar. Many years-- all of my twenties, really-- were spent trying to deny my natural tendencies. Many years on the scene, in clubs, at the right parties, in the right clothes, knowing the right people. But it’s just not me. I like wearing sweatpants and I like raking the yard.
What I’m really trying to get at, though, is the materialization of a trend, about what constitutes cool. Let’s talk about two things that have re-emerged over the years: knitting and yoga. My grandmother knits. She’s eighty-seven. When I was ten, I wanted to be like her, so she taught me. I loved it. I knitted all through my teens, but I didn’t do it in public. Knitting was not cool. Now look at it, it’s everywhere. Not only do knitters enjoy their passion in public, unashamed of this previous private pastime, but there are yarn stores and websites (visit Transitions, Ink for links). Nowadays, I feel like I want to be knitting too. After all, you get warm fuzzy things to wear when you’re done.
And what about yoga? I found a book that my mom had when I was twelve. No one was doing yoga in the eighties. It was Twenty Minute Workouts and high-impact aerobics. Now you can’t drive ten blocks without seeing a yoga studio. I am loving the way we’re going: opening up our closets, revealing our true enthusiasms.
There are several movies now about spelling bees—who thought that was cool in grade school? There are shows where you watch people play poker. (To me that’s as boring as watching someone play golf, but people love it.) Personally, I like to participate rather than watch. I’m wondering what’s next in the popular culture program. Hoolahooping? Weaving? Clogging?
My personal preference would be crossword puzzles. I love them and I’m not ashamed to say it. I’m going to start using it as a verb, and see if it catches on. If you need me I’ll be crosswording.

6 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Great post...and so true! I've read that "knitting groups" are sprouting up as fast as book clubs.

I like your new verb, too, but I'm not sure what clogging is...I'll google that (another cool verb that's been added to the lexicon).

Have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

I son took up crocheting a few years ago. (He's 26 now.) I think he did it just because he & his wife were and he didn't wnt to be left out. Of course he didn't want to follow any kind of pattern. He found if he made a square and folded it.. did some creative hooking-up.. then he had a SLIPPER! Great.. but when he made the next one.. well, it wasn't the same size.

Tip for the day: Use patterns

Anonymous said...

That should be MY son (sheesh)

Anonymous said...

Ok .. ME & his wife.

I give up lol

TI said...

Repeater, what an amazing post! (Thanks for the honorable mention). "dorkus amongus" is excellent!

Have you not seen the new crossword puzzle movie, Wordplay: http://www.wordplaythemovie.com/ ? Wonderful film that suggests your final prediction may be coming true.

And hey, I started a knitting group in my department (we knit in the lounge on Wednesday afternoons so as to make the male academics squirm) two years ago!

Kiyotoe said...

Hey, as a high school football player my coach encouraged us to learn and practice yoga.

Ahead of our time?

And probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen thrown into the "cool" arena was the World Series of Paper, Rock, Scissors! this was actually on one of the cable channels.

Paper, Rock, Scissors? On t.v.?
What have we become?