Thursday, January 25, 2007

Burgeoning Talent

While I was looking for a binder, I ran across some old writing of mine-- very old, like the first short story I had ever written, called "Our Own Demons". Very dramatic, I tell you. The story moved between a stripper's daily life and flashbacks her boyfriend was having about Vietnam. While of course the war scenes were ridiculous and over the top, I found there were some touching moments and a few really great sentences. And my plot line was better than the stories I've been writing lately. Not bad for a person who had absolutely no idea what she was doing and purely working on instinct. I had sent this story into Glimmer Train, of all places (I don't even dare with my stories now), and they kindly wrote back suggesting I stick with writing what I know (apparently obvious I hadn't been to war or been a stripper), but that I should keep writing. This was over fifteen years ago. I read that story thinking, what if I had kept going at that point in my life instead of listening to the critics, the ones that told me I couldn't write, that I should stick to painting? Well, no sense wallowing in what might have been. I'm just happy that I finally decided I could do it. It was encouraging to see that even that long ago I did have a smidgen of talent. And I think you'll see what I mean from this poem that I will share with you, written by yours truly:
1
I jogged down-town
I saw a clown
He fell down
and made a frown
I felt sorry for that clown
2
I feel sick it
I can't lick it
I could kick it
If I flicked it
3
That makes no sense
but of course
nothing does
if you're dense

Friday, April 10, 1981

5 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

You know what? There's an old rule of thumb that says if you get ANY sort of correspondence from a journal you submitted to, then that's a GREAT sign. So, yes, the young Repeater was a burgeoning talent 15 years ago...and IS a talent today in her own right.

Glad you didn't listen to those damned inner critics. :)

Idiot Cook said...

PS--Would you consider sharing the opening lines or paragraph of this short story? I'd love to read it!

Writer Bug said...

OMG. I'm laughing out loud here, and I think FC, who is dilligently writing while I take a break and read your blog because my story is crap, probably thinks I'm nuts. That's an awesome rejection from GT, though! Good for you.

TI said...

I love the part where they tell you to write what you know. But your instinct must have been good because personalized encouragement from a literary mag. editor is a good sign. I'm glad you stuck with it despite the critics.

Repeater said...

Thanks all for the kudos. FC, I'd be happy to share the story with you, I just have to get my butt in gear and scan it- soon, I promise. Bug, so glad I could make you laugh.