Saturday, January 20, 2007

Mixed Media


Around my house for the last couple of days the talk has been about the future, the role of the artist in it, and the overwhelming nature of an informational whirlwind. A friend of mine (a painter and jewelry maker) suggested that artists now struggle in a way that they never have, that everything is presented in a postmodern conglomeration and that there is no room for, nor any ability to develop an original art form. I argued that artists have always struggled with the concepts of meaning, identity and truth no matter what the age (existential angst is our thing) and will continue to do so in the unique way that our complex society demands (an aside- I was warned in a class on the Use of Metaphor last week that the word “society” was banned from the room, but I think it is an appropriate word to complete my thought [and I’m too lazy to find a synonym] so I’m using it).
My friend countered with the idea that there was a richness to life when people were forced to sit around a fire and discuss books, a richness that is often lost on today’s MTV multi-imaged, live-streaming, video-game playing generation. I did agree with that point, but disagreed that the life of the artist is hopeless or doomed. She then admitted she was a nihilist and had trouble believing in anything at all. I love my friends.

And next time on The Repeater:
My husband thinks that there’s no way that natural evolution can keep up with human invention so we’re eventually going to have to technologically enhance our bodies (silicone chip in the brain, etc.) Hmmm.

4 comments:

TI said...

I have to recommend against getting into conversations about meaning with nihilists. Second to that, I never believe anyone when they say they're a nihilist anyway. She must think something is meaningful or valuable. Here's the artist's life -- we make meaning!

Your husband's theory is...intriguing. can't wait for more.

Writer Bug said...

Wow. I'm jealous. I think the last conversation I had was about food.

Kiyotoe said...

yeah, that conversation was too deep for me on a Sunday when my Chicago Bears were winning a trip to the Super Bowl!!!

HOWEVER....i think the "artist" of today will still excel in creativity and imagination, and expression, when compared to the rest of today's society, but compared to the "artist" of old, they won't really stack up.

It is the MTV, video games, INTERNET, etc., that minimizes our opportunities to cultivate our imaginations and creativity. I owe my greatness to the seven years of being an only child and making up games AND friends to play with.

Go BEARS!!!

Repeater said...

Ha! ti- I think you're right about the nihilists, but they do make for great dinner conversation
bug- too funny
Dragon- I do not think you suffer from lack of imagination though you are clearly net-infatuated--oh, alright, go Bears (I'm afraid my insincerity rings through)