Sunday, January 14, 2007

Football Sunday

Am I an asshole for making fun of a quarterback? In the silent moments when my friends turned to look at me, all eyebrows furrowed, all mouths turned down, I wondered if I was. People are fiercely loyal to what they perceive as “their team” (fans use the term “we” loosely as if somehow the spectators are responsible for the plays, as if personal superstitions have anything at all to do with “their team” winning). I tried to explain to my sour company that the joke was not in any way directed at “their team”’s quarterback: I was making fun of football players in general. For some reason this did not placate my friends. I had apparently trampled on holy ground.

Let me just ask this question: does it not seem ridiculous that the media continues to interview players after the game? We all know what they are going to say: “Well, we just like to go out there and play the best we can. You know, team work is everything. I knew we would come through if we persevered.” Oh, strike that—persevered is a pretty big word for a football player.

Maybe I am an asshole.

3 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Hmm. Considering I KNOW where you were yesterday, I'm thinking you were talking about MY team and MY Tom Brady. :)

You're right, though. The Fifth Quarter IS an odd invention. You're not an asshole...but then again, MY guys won, so I'm in a good mood! ;)

Great seeing you!

Repeater said...

great to see you too FC. Busted with the Tom Brady, so don't worry Kiyotoe, I wouldn't dare belittle the Bears even though I believe they won over MY seattle. Friends tell me I should care, but oh, its so hard to when we've invaded the Iranian embassy. I'm enraged. I'm all up in arms.

Writer Bug said...

you and me both, R.