Friday, November 10, 2006

I've Been Meme'd

Okay, bug, I looked up the term:

meme (plural memes)

1. Any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. Examples might include thoughts, ideas, theories, practices, habits, songs, dances and moods and terms such as race, culture, ethnicity etc.
2. A self-propagating unit of cultural evolution having a resemblance to the gene (the unit of genetics).



10 wonderful things that start with L:


* Life
* Libraries. "L"s are too easy.
* L-Dopa (an amino acid, precursor to Dopamine, synthetic form used to treat Parkinson's disease)-ooh, seems I did learn something with all that studying.
* Laughter
* Language
* Lesley University
* Lady's slipper, a most stunning orchid
* Legends- they keep us going.
* Lingering. Just the sound of the word is enjoyable.
* Love. Of course.

Five bad things that start with L:

* Lewis "Scooter" Libby. Too wrapped up with Cheney et al. Don't like him.
* Lint. Does it serve a purpose?
* Land mine.
* Lap dances (sorry guys, it just looks wrong)
* Liposcution. Nothing right about that.


Hey FC, if you're around, I'm requesting a Q list from you (should be challenging, but I'm sure you're up to the task)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. I am struggling with K -- I've got 9 likes and only 2 dislikes so far. Hope to post my list tonight.

Repeater said...

You're on top of it. I just posted this moments ago. And I'm sure Ks are harder than L.

Writer Bug said...

Nice job repeater! and a good shout out to Lesley! (And seriously. How lap dances aren't cheating is beyond me...)

Anonymous said...

I have to say too that the word of the day, "miscreant," is a great word.

Writer Bug said...

Oh and thanks for the meme definition! I had no idea it was even a real word.I thought it was some blogger word.

Anonymous said...

The blogger "meme" and the social theory "meme" somehow don't mesh that well for me. I always think of them as "me-me" because they're all about whoever is doing them (but not, interestingly enough, the one we just did).

Repeater said...

I'm with you on that ti and bug. Tough the social definition explains the concept, it doesn't exactly define how people use it on the web. I like the me-me idea, ti. Oh, and miscreant is always a favorite, that and rapscallion.

Anonymous said...

I had been meaning to look up "meme"--I have a genetics background but clearly missed or forgot that one.
Nice writing and thanks for your comment.

Idiot Cook said...

Love your list...just saw your tag... Q, huh??????

Okay. I'll give it a go.

NuttersNotes said...

OK...I'll give you that the lap dances are wrong....and I am a guy!

But, if lap dances are, then lingerie MUST be on the good list!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

can we go back to C and do cliche