Thursday, March 08, 2007

Dirty Work


I've spent enough time this week winging about my work, so I don't want to go on and on, but there is something that happened yesterday that came very close to throwing me into a rage, which is something I try hard not to let work do to me. After all, what's the point? It is only hurting me.


Because I have spent many years in this business and have worked extremely hard to get where I am, gigs like this throw me for a loop. The position I accepted for this one is Master Electrician. That means I figure out the circuiting and power for instruments. I do it on paper and when we get to the venue, I have a crew to put it up. I explain to them where we want it. Simple enough.


But on this show, they didn't hire enough crew for me. So I have spent 12 hours a day for the last 4 days lifting heavy cable, pushing boxes around, climbing ladders & driving lifts. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind working. I don't even mind that much getting dirty, but there's always someone who will try to make you feel bad for just the things you should be proud of (i.e. hard work)


Yesterday, around my tenth hour of work (with no breaks, by the way, someone bringing me food) I was pushing a case out of the tent-- yes, the fashion show is in a tent-- there was a young man, I would guess around twenty, with a tailored shirt, designer jeans, and some product in his hair smoking a cigarette just where I needed to put the case. I think he was there setting up some display. Remember, this is a high-publicity fashion show, so every wanna be in the city is hanging around. I politely asked him if he would step aside, and the little shit wouldn't even look at me. He refused to budge. And I was 2 feet away from him. I know he heard me. Finally, his friend who was near pulled him over a step. I thanked him for moving. He still wouldn't acknowledge me.


This exchange took the wind out of me. All of a sudden because of this little prick I lost any sense of dignity I might have had about the job I was doing. I felt like a dirty, thirty-something low life. What a shame that somebody could hold that power. Class systems are a big point of contention with me, and I always make a point of treating all types of people equally. Now I need to work on not being so sensitive to those that don't.


Check out this post on one of my favorite's blog. We were feeling sympatico today.

7 comments:

TI said...

What a smarmy little shit. We live in a society that is so classist--as if there is *anything* low about manual labour anyway--and the final insult is that this guy is probably just someone's go-to kid anyway. I work in a real hierarchy and while I get looked up to a lot, I also get looked down on a lot -- that's the thing about hierarchy that is so damaging. Well, *I* am always full of admiration for you, Repeater, and I can see that you're doing a fantastic job and you're really, really good at what you do.

Idiot Cook said...

I second and third everything TI says.

Just think--the little shit also probably has a really little penis. They always do. He's trying to counteract it by being all tough. Heh. Won't help him in the sack.

Can you tell who's in a pissy mood today??

Hang in there, Repeater...you'll be coming home soon, yes??

Sara said...

Hey Repeater,

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I can certainly empathize with this entry. DC is such a status conscience town, with a lot of people who really, really want you to believe that they are more important than you.

Repeater said...

FC you are cracking me up lately. Thanks, ti for the kind kind words & sara good to see you back. I'm heading home tomorrow for a day (soooo relieved to be done with this one) then to Detroit for an easy little show for just a couple of days, then hopefully home for a while. So glad to have you all with me on my journeys.

TI said...

YOu'll be pulling in Detroit and i"ll be just across the border, in Windsor tonight! You desrve the easy show, and then home for some REST.

Kiyotoe said...

I know you're not used to hearing this kind of thing from me, but if you find out where he lives, I'll go stop by and teach him a little respect. Mess up his hair and break a nail or two and everything!

Really, I will, it's not a problem. Just think about it.

And you are right, we really were on the same page. Like I said, "warm and fuzzy". ;)

Writer Bug said...

that just blows. I hate that anything like this happens, especially to someone as awesome as you! Whenever I get treated poorly I try to rememebr that the person doing it is probably really miserable. Or at least I hope they are. That makes me feel a bit better. Hope you're home already!