Friday, March 02, 2007

Somebody Help Me

This morning I am no longer apologizing for my condescending attitude towards my coworkers. I’ll give you an example, a piece of a conversation that took place after leaving a Thai restaurant (Yes, unbelievably they agreed to Thai food after grudgingly giving up the bar-b-que restaurant because I’m veggie):

The scene: Thai restaurant in a strip mall in Dallas, 3 male technicians, 1 female. At the next table, 4 obviously gay men having an excellent time. Technicians are talking loudly about the famous people they have worked with. Female coworker staring longingly at the other table, wishing she was with them.

Action: Technicians finish meal and leave restaurant.

Coworker #1: I think we weren’t gay enough for that restaurant.

Coworker #2: No kidding, man. [ Laughter]

Coworker #3: [sidelong glance at female coworker] At least we know its good food if the gays are going to it.

Coworker #1: So where are we going now?

Coworker #3: Anywhere they have beer.

Coworker #2: I saw a sportsbar on our way here.

Coworker #1: There’s a liquor store right there. We could just open a sixpack and sit on the floor & drink it. [Laughter]

Coworker #2: [They pile in the car] The bar’s just a couple of blocks.

Coworker #3: [Addresses female coworker] Are you in?

Female Coworker: I’ll just take a cab back to the hotel.

4 comments:

TI said...

Ouch. Next time I see you, I really do want to hear the story of how you got into this biz. I guess snappy comebacks are completely lost on these dudes, and solo dining must be starting to look pretty good.

Writer Bug said...

I'm so, so sorry! Yea, maybe TI is right and your next dinner date ought to be with a book...

Repeater said...

I usually skip the dinners altogether (like tonight), but I hadn't seen one of the guys for years & used to work with him pretty extensively- he is not as offensive as the others. They usually think of me as pretty antisocial (which is fine by me.)Keeping my chin up at the moment!

Idiot Cook said...

Wow. Hang in there, Repeater. I agree with TI--I look forward to hearing how you got started in this biz.