Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hello, Darlings

So, for months I have been saying that I could not imagine why I would want to post my personal business online for just anyone to read--I have friends who show pictures of the inside of their house, for god's sake. But, with a mind to watch what I post, and a group of writerly friends that I know have my back out there, I've decided to give it a go. Here's why:

1. An artist must reflect the time she is living in
2. I need discipline
3. William Faulkner said "kill all your darlings", but I don't want to. I'm no murderer. Now I don't have to kill them, now they can have a life in posting form.

That's exciting.
Here's a little taste (you may see why it was heading for the guillotine)...Keep in mind, I am no poet, though I love the sounds. I call myself the Repeater.


We argue over furniture

when that is not what was meant

(They do not send their children out to play)

Stripes, strife

strictly stiff

it is perception that differs.

I begged for a straw broom

then bought one for myself

(Picture your perfect purring)

by the by time continues on.

Though not truly on, not straight

in a line.

You called me like my mother

and I slapped you for that

When what we meant to say

was I love you

What we meant to say

stopped short of being said.

3 comments:

TI said...

I'll watch your back if you watch mine. Promise.

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
What I like about your admitted alliteration, is that it ISN'T predominantly consonance as your quote heading says. In this poem, and the one in the newer post, both have a considerable amount of assonance. These days I've been preferring that to consonance in my own writing; feels really good in the mouth when read aloud.
I agree it's definitely nice to have this group who help each other. Good luck beginning the next MFA submission!

Idiot Cook said...

The last six lines are KICK-ASS awesome...wow! I can feel that slap. Keep postin' them darlings...this is going to be fun!