Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Sing, Sing a Song


The photo isn't me, and it isn't the Northwest (A friend in Hawaii), but it is happy anyway


It's a beautiful sunny day out in the Northwest, so I'm going to start my morning with a happy song:

Oh, wait, I never wrote any happy songs, but here's one that isn't entirely gloom and doom:

AGE

The thing is, I didn’t see it coming
The truth is, it scares me to death
The thing is, I don’t think I can stop it
The truth is,
I’m intrigued by this process I can’t control
Exist in spite of it
And spit in the face of innocence


I’m not afraid of dying
I’m afraid of losing You aren’t scared
Of anything except me
I’m older than I look
Younger than I seem Hesitant
To continue in this vein
In need of nourishment or some master plan
A label to slap upon myself
Here’s to your health


Here’s to Birth
Here’s to Aging
Here’s to Wisdom
Here’s to Dying

Now I’m Breathing
Now I’m fading
Now I’m centered
Now I’m rising

....It has been a while since I've done any singing or lyric-writing (at least 3 years), but I am still fond of the rhythms you can create in songs vs. prose. It makes me think of the workshop we had at the last MFA residency- listening to tapes of famous authors reading their work. I guarantee if you heard this song it would be a completely different experience than reading it on the page. Hopefully you wouldn't fall asleep.

3 comments:

Writer Bug said...

Welcome, welcome, welcome, to the wide world of blogging! Hope you find it as satisfying as I do!

TI said...

Welcome, Repeater. Your blog looks great! And you *do* write poetry, despite your claims to the contrary!

Idiot Cook said...

Welcome to Blogger World! Be careful--it's addictive! Check out Poetry Thursday for all your poetry needs.

Peace,
FC