Thursday, September 28, 2006

I'm Dancing

So I’m having trouble with this story. I’ve got good scenes, I have good character development, I know how I want the main character to change, I have a theme, but there is absolutely no plot. The guy is just wandering around the city.
No big deal, I’ve been here before-
What I’m amazed at is my ability to dance around when I get in this state. I start six other stories (bound to be more brilliant than the original), I sweep the floor, I stack some wood, oh the cat needs some food—better go to the store. God, this vase is filthy. After I wash it I’ll work on the story. Yoga would be good for me right now, it will calm me down. This could be the last sunny day of the year, better go for a bike ride. I can write tonight.
Agggh.
The clock is tick, tick ticking away....

4 comments:

TI said...

I love the way you re-define procrastination as being productive in other ways. Have you seen the philosopher John Perry's brilliant piece on structured procrastination: http://www.structuredprocrastination.com/ which I commented on in my first every blog post: http://transitionsink.blogspot.com/2006/08/where-do-i-start.html

SIX new story ideas! Go for it, Repeater!

Repeater said...

No, but I'll check it out- one more way to procrastinate. Don't let the six new stories fool you- I've got files and files of them. That's my process.

Writer Bug said...

I love that you know your process so well and trust it--"no big deal, I've been here before". It sounds like you have a really good foundation to slip a plot of some sort into. Feel free to email me your story if you want a reader at this point.

Idiot Cook said...

Oh, God...you're looking in my window when I procrastinate! Sometimes it's so much easier to find other things to do rather than getting my butt in the chair and writing. Whys is that? If you figure it out, lemme know. :)